Thursday, September 17, 2009

Inch by Inch



Welcome to Kudzu Forest - just up the road from our place.  Depending on my state of mind at any given time, sometimes I see animal shapes evolving in the kudzu-covered trees, random vegetation and fences. 

I have heard that jelly can be made using kudzu.  Huh?  Does it have fruit of some sort?  Time to Google it!  Please hum for a few minutes.

You're humming, right?  RIGHT?

Okay, I've Google-ized kudzu.  It seems the blossom of the kudzu vine is used to make the jelly, and the flavor is a cross between blueberry and grape.  Well, there you go.  There are kudzu cuisine cookbooks!  Kudzu's been called "the vine that ate the south" and was originally brought here from its native Japan during WWII to help control erosion?  Sounds like a decades-old kudzu conspiracy theory to me.  :)   It grows up to 6.5 feet per week! 

I'm just thinking--the neighborhood dogs might be more careful where they take their naps!

1 comment:

Tori said...

How cool! Someone should make some of that jelly! (no, not me)