Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Mount Pilot, as Andy Would Say ...



If the sky is clear and you know where to look, you can see Pilot Mountain from this spot on our road. If you ever watched The Andy Griffith Show, you'll recall the characters talking about "going to Mount Pilot."  Well, there you are.  I digress (somewhat often).

In the foreground of the shot above, the late summer sun warmed this field of wildflowers one Sunday afternoon as all sorts of bees danced among the blooms. It's too bad still photos don't capture sounds; I remember the buzzing was quite loud, kind of like the string section of an orchestra warming up before a performance!  Very nice, so peaceful.

The very next day two very large mowing monsters leveled this lovely field.  Why?  There are no homes immediately bordering it, and as scarce as bees have become in our area, I wish they'd at least waited until the flowers had finished blooming.  I suppose mowing is a ritual of civilized man.  I'm not so sure civilization is all it's cracked up to be - not when a "perfectly good field of flowers" is mowed down at its peak.  Men and their gigantic mowing machines.  I can almost see them snorting and beating their chests as they raced with each other to see who could cut the wider path, etc. (Okay, that made me giggle, admittedly.) 






Lesson d'jour...take time to cherish God's many gifts and blessings, and do what you can to preserve them.  I suppose knocking the guys off their mowers wouldn't be very civilized, but then again .... 

Til next time ~~